Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A field trip to Deanna Rose

Tyler and I are finishing up his Kindergarten curriculum, but I'm trying to make it last as long as the area schools around here are still in session. So I decided to take an impromptu field trip today to Deanna Rose, a cute little farmstead with lots of goats, sheep, chicken, cows, horses, rabbits. They even have some non-farm animals, with peacocks, bald eagle, red tailed hawk, owls, and bobcats. It's a beautiful day and there's a chance of storms for the rest of the week, so it was 'now or never'. I called our pastor's wife, to see if she was interested in going with us. It's always nice to have an extra set of hands (& ears for all the questions!!!) and someone to talk to when going exploring with small children. :) She was willing to join us and we had a great time. I was really thankful for her prescence, as there were A LOT of kids/people there today. It didn't occur to me (though it SHOULD have!) that area schools/daycares would be there for their field trips as well. The kids had a good time...and I'm realizing more and more that I have 'city' kids. (I grew up in a very small town, my grandfather had a farm and I spent most of my days exploring it, feeding the calves or riding on the tractor). But it was a learning experience for them, even if we weren't school. (Tyler was a little incredulous that we could "learn" without reading our books or doing our worksheets. ;)

Checking out the cute rabbits (Bria is signing 'rabbit' as she's watching them)

Don't know the boy in the black shirt, but he was VERY animated
about the goats and couldn't wait to tell SOMEONE about them. :)

Bria's face makes me laugh....

Cameron was pretty uncertain around the goats for awhile,
but once they realized we didn't have any food to offer them, they left him alone.


Tyler was picking up the pieces of food that others had dropped and feeding the goats that way.


Cameron's on his tip toes :)


For my nephew, Titus

The turtles were enjoying the sunshine!!


Mrs. Mallard giving herself a bath.

These chickens made me laugh. The one in the front had some crazy feathers on its head and
the white one in the back by the barn had some crazy feathers on its legs. They looked like disco pants and afros. :)

Love lop-eared bunnies - SO cute!

I LOVE that these two are such good friends...they hold hands without being asked to.


Checking out the map

The new calves - born in February and March - SO SO cute.

Oh the baby goats - all huddled in their food pan taking a nap


My little cowgirl

Milking by hand





No comments:

Post a Comment