So apparently, if you want to walk around a zoo when pregnant, you should walk regularly before attempting to do 5 miles in one day. :) I woke up late Saturday night/early Sunday morning with some contractions (Braxton-Hicks) and as long as I was sitting or lying down, they weren't really noticeable. So I took it easy on Sabbath, only standing/walking when absolutely necessary and letting Matt carry and hold Cameron as much as possible. I also made sure I drank a lot of water, because I know being dehydrated can lead to having contractions. By Sabbath afternoon/evening, the contractions had pretty much stopped so I didn't really give it much thought. However, when I was awakened by contractions early Monday morning, I started wondering if baby was coming early. They were still fairly mild, but as they continued on through the normal waking hours, I decided perhaps I should time them. They were lasting 40-60 seconds and were about 5 minutes apart. Yikes. And they were definitely getting more uncomfortable, though they were still very mangeable. I told Matt and he wanted me to call my doctor. When I did, she told me to go to the hospital to get monitored. So we called Matt's mom and she was able to come over and get the kids. We got to the hospital around 8:15am. They put me on the monitors and had me drink lots of water. I was still having them consistently at 5 minutes apart, some more frequent than that, so after talking with my doctor again, they gave me a bag of IV fluids to try and hydrate me even more. After the bag was done, I was still having them, but they had slowed considerably. So they released us. That was about 12:30pm. I was told that I was now on "modified bed rest" and needing to increase my water intake daily. When I asked what was involved with modified bed rest, the response was "You can still do laundry, get meals, etc. but you need to be off your feet as much as possible."
After we got home Monday afternoon, Carol brought the kids back over and told me she would be willing to take them for part of the following day. I took her up on it, so she came over around 9:45am and got them loaded up and took them back over to her place. I was now home alone, with orders to not do anything (per my hubby, mother-in-law, mom, & sister). It was very hard for me NOT to be productive...do you know how much easier it is to clean without 6 little hands around to 'help'??? But I was good...I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher (not all at the same time) and started a load of laundry (I had Matt carry the laundry basket down before he left for work that morning), then I sat on the couch, had my devotions and worked on some memory work and even took a nap! After I snoozed, I had some lunch and then balanced/updated our checking on the computer. When the kids came home around 2pm, we read a chapter of "Little House on the Prairie" and then they went down for rest time. Carol had invited us over for supper, so when Matt got home, we headed over there.
The good news is that I haven't had any contractions since we got home Monday afternoon/evening. The bad news is that I think I still have to be 'lazy' and not do much around the house. So please pray that I can be 'good' and behave myself so baby stays inside cooking for a little while longer. I can't guarantee I'll be doing this up through my due date, but I'll try to do it at least until it's 'safe' for baby to come...
Wow! That is a lot of activity this week already :) Enjoy the opportunity given to you to be "lazy"... it's called taking care of the baby inside :)
ReplyDeleteOh, my! I am so sorry you are 'restricted', but so glad baby's okay! Will talk to you soon...
ReplyDelete