Thursday, October 6, 2011

Worthy of the calling

I'm embarassed to admit, but my personal devotions have struggled for much of this year. However, God was gentle & gracious to remind me how important my quiet time with Him is, not only for the sake of my relationship with the Lord, but my relationship with my husband, my kids, and all others I come in contact with. So for the past 2 weeks, I have been setting aside time in my day to have some quiet time with the Lord. Consistently. For a few days, I was getting up at 5am, enjoying a cup of coffee, my Tabletalk, and prayer before the rest of my family arose (mainly, Mr. Cameron who usually wakes up to eat around 5:45 or 6am) But alas, my hopes of being a real morning person didn't last (though I do think I can be a morning person, but like with anything else, it takes discipline). So instead of 5am, I take the time during Cameron's morning nap (usually between 8:30 and 9:30, depending on when he woke to start his day), to enjoy the peace & relative quiet (Tyler & Bria play in their room during this time) and focus on the Lord.

Today was convicting, as the reflection was on Ephesians 4:1 "I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called." My calling? To be a daughter of the King, a wife to my husband, a mom to my kids, & a massage therapist. Do I take advantage of 'teachable moments' when they arise? Have I shown my children Christ's love in my actions and responses to things, even when things don't go according to my plans? Do I spend enough quality time with my children or am I too busy scurrying around trying to get household things done (not that those aren't important too) or worse, am I getting distracted by the computer, the internet and all that is going on everywhere but here? Am I taking advantage of opportunities at work to share the gospel with non-believers?

I really appreciate R.C. Sproul's words in the Tabletalk devotionals. 2 of his quotes from today were

"We must live in gratitude for our salvation always, and we can make no excuses when we fail to obey the Lord in love." Ouch. Failing to obey the Lord in love?

"We walk worthy of Christ because he has already saved us; we do not walk worthy of Him to make Him save us. Divine grace redeems us, and we never stop relying on it in our walk with Jesus. Whew.

There are so many things I need to work on. Too many to list. But I ask that if anybody reads this today, please pray for me as I seek to be a daughter/wife/mother walking in the manner worthy of the calling to which I have been called. Feel free to leave a comment if there's something you'd like me to pray for.

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderfully terrible to be convicted like that! I'll certainly add you to my prayer list....I think this is something that so many of us struggle with on a minute by minute and day by day basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that the Lord is working in your life, Anne; private devotions with the Lord have gotten hard for me, too, lately. I need to make it more of a priority. And, I pray that I would desire (out of love) to 'obey the Lord in love' more.

    ReplyDelete