I don't have any new pictures for this post. Shocking, I know. But I really haven't had the camera out much recently, if you can believe it. But something else was on my heart today, so bear with me.
I rarely talk about my work on here and it's not because I don't love my job (I sincerely do. Most of the time. ;)). It's just a very fine line of what is acceptable to share and what's not. As a massage therapist, I have a patient confidentiality that I try my hardest not to breech. However, since I'm not going to use names, I think sharing this information will be ok.
I had 3 massages scheduled today and only 1 of them showed up. While I could have been really annoyed and frustrated about that, the one massage I did give was truly worth the extra hours I sat at work when I could have been home with my family. My 1st client today is in remission (for the 4th time in 3 years) from non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He limped into my office today and said that even though he wasn't 'hurting' necessarily, he was having trouble getting around. He's on high-dose steriods, trying to combat the cancer that continues to threaten his body. These steriods keep him from sleeping. He said he woke up just 1.5 hours after going to bed last night and couldn't sleep any longer. 1.5 hours of sleep?! What was I doing complaining about getting up with Cameron 2 or 3 times a night? It's all about perspective. See, in my little bubble of a world, sleep is a normal occurrence. Walking without having to really think about it is normal for me. But for some people, it's not. There are people who are wishing for 3 hours of consecutive sleep. Some are just trying to get from point A to point B without falling, stumbling or looking like they need help. My client told me that the lack of sleep is a small price to pay for being cancer-free. He not only has to deal with lack of sleep, but hand and leg cramps and lots of swelling too. He scraped his foot and landed himself in the hospital for 12 days for iv antibiotics because of his depleted immune system. My selfish perspective was griping for being sore after participating in a 5k on Saturday and the allergies that have been bugging me for a couple of weeks and the fact that I had to get up twice on Saturday night because my 3 year old was fussing for/needing a kleenex. Seriously? Who am I to complain about that?
My heart breaks for this man. He's a father of 2 young (11 & 13, I think) girls and the husband to one of my former clients. They've been married for 14 years. I spent the majority of the hour praying that God would heal this man. That he would be able to give his daughters away at their weddings. That he would get to celebrate 14 more years of marriage with his wife. I don't know what God has in store for this man & his family. (His wife was actually one of the first people I told when I was expecting Bria and didn't know how I was going to manage 2 under 2. She told me "You can do this, God doesn't give you anything you can't handle. My girls are 16 months apart. It's hard for the first few months, but it gets better and the craziness doesn't last forever." While I knew this in my heart, it was good for my ears to hear it too. :))
Even though I'm content to live in my little bubble of 'secureness', it's good that God requires us to step out in faith. Even spending 1 hour with someone who doesn't complain about the trial they have been given can be very enlightening. I don't know how God will use that me for the rest of my life, but I am convinced that he puts people in our lives that challenge us. There are so many who are hurting in the world. Emotionally. Physically. Spiritually. I have been so blessed to have contact with so many different people. Giving massages are something I can do to help them physically. But praying for them will be more beneficial. God is so gracious. He hears our prayers. I need to remember to pray for all my clients, not just the ones who are fighting this type of physical battle.
The sanctification process is an on-going process. I am thankful that He has not finished with me yet. I have so much to learn, to strive for. Please pray for me as I seek to be the Daughter the King requires.
And if you're so inclined, please pray for this man & his family.
I leave you with these verses...some of my favorites!
Jeremiah 29:11-14a "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD."
Ephesians 2:10 "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."
No comments:
Post a Comment