The end of January/beginning of February are very busy weeks for this family. We have several family members with birthdays, 3 in our immediate family alone! So this week we celebrated Matt's 35th and Cameron's 2nd. Matt had a nice day (I think) despite his efforts to make his birthday into 'no big deal, just another day'. I stayed up late and made a birthday banner for him, hung streamers (in KU colors, no less!) and made him cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Then he enjoyed a nacho bar at work (in honor of his being the only birthday in January in his department), and real, authentic gumbo. Matt had it when he went down to New Orleans for work 10 years ago and really liked it. A friend of ours from church is from Louisiana and I had asked him if he'd be willing to make some for Matt's birthday (I told him I'd paid for the ingredients). He was happy to help and told me he'd put it in a Dutch oven, since it was just going to be for the two of us (I was
pretty sure the kids wouldn't want any!). When I got it from them on Thursday, it was a huge stockpot, practically filled to the top!!! I couldn't believe how much he made! Good thing we can refreeze it! We'll be able to enjoy it for awhile. I had never had gumbo, but I was willing to try it. I was pleasantly surprised...it was
really good!!! And since Matt isn't a huge cake fan, I made him apple crisp for dessert. The kids are completely incredulous that daddy doesn't like cake. But they didn't mind eating the apple crisp.
 |
| Mmm. Hungry? |
 |
| The boys love our ball pit the kids got for Christmas from our very generous neighbors |
 |
| Derek especially is content to sit in there and 'taste' every ball ;) |
Hard to believe my little "Crash" is 2!!! He is so much fun!!! Almost always full of smiles, hugs, and giggles. :) We were supposed to have his 'party' yesterday, but there was a funeral that several family members were going to attend, so we decided to 'cancel' it. He's 2, so I know he didn't notice. We had a pretty laid back day yesterday, opening some presents throughout the day, as well as today. Didn't want to completely overwhelm with everything all at once, especially right before the much needed Sunday afternoon nap! :)
 |
| Modeling his new outfit from my parents |
 |
| A new truck! |
 |
| He was SO excited to open presents!!! |
 |
| Trying to hurry daddy who was trying to remove the toy! |
 |
| The cake |
 |
| This boy and ranch... |
 |
| ...it's actually a little scary at how much he loves the stuff |
 |
| Seriously. He was trying to drink it. |
 |
| Ahhh, good to the last drop! ;) |
 |
| I'm 2! :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment