2 weeks ago, I took Cameron in to see the doctor because he was grumpy, covered with a rash (that looked like goosebumps under a bad sunburn) and was just plain miserable. It was determined that the rash was a viral exantham, probably from the double ear infection and tonsilitis he had. So we were given a Rx for amoxicillin. Cameron's 1st ear infection and 1st experience with 'the pink stuff'. (My 2 older children have both had ear infections and they like the pink medicine). We started it that night and for a few days, I was doing well remembering to give it to him. But as the week went on and things came up, I forgot to give it to him for 3 or 4 days in a row. But I started it up again a week ago (it's supposed to be a 10 day med) and this past Wednesday, when Matt got him out of his bed, he was
covered with bright red, angry spots. This rash was completely different from the one we took him in for and my first thought when I saw them, was "Great, he has chicken pox!". I snapped some pictures, e-mailed them to our doctor (I know, I know...what a blessing it is that I can e-mail our pediatrician questions, pictures, etc. w/o having to have an office visit!) and waited. Matt suggested that I take him into a Take Care clinic at Walgreens and see what they said, in case we couldn't get in with the doc that day. So after lunch, I dropped the other 3 off at Grandma's and went to the pharmacy. I got there and they were closed for an hour and I didn't want to wait, so I put his name in, but we ended up going back to Grandma's. When we got there, my father-in-law (who works as in a hospital) was home and when he saw Cameron's rash, he said it looked like a drug reaction rash. I hadn't even thought about the amoxicillin b/c he'd been on it for a few days and he'd been fine, then off it, then on it again. I checked my e-mail to see if our doctor had responded and he said the same thing: reaction to the amoxicillin. So, we stopped the meds and waited the rash out. He looks much better today (6 days after we 1st noticed it) though, there still some of it on his lower trunk/legs. We are so thankful it was quickly diagnosed, that it was nothing more serious than a rash and we will probably stay away from penicillin meds for him from now on. :)
 |
| Day 1 |
 |
| He was pretty miserable/itchy when he got up |
 |
| Had a few bug bites too, from playing outside with Matt the night before |
 |
| Day 2, when he first woke up |
 |
| Doesn't he look awful??! |
 |
| Day 3 |
 |
| See how much better his face looks? |
 |
| Day 4, Saturday |
 |
| He likes to "ROAR" like lions! :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment