Monday, April 9, 2012

Springtime fun

My sister 'recently' invited me to join Pinterest and though I 'drug' my feet for awhile, I finally gave in. I now find myself visiting the site at least once a day to see what fun ideas, suggstions, or recipes my friends are finding. :) One fun kid activity I found was to get a pan of baking soda, put some vinegar in small containers, add food coloring to them and give the kids an eye dropper. Talk about fun for hours!! I can't tell you how many times I heard "Wow, mom look at this! That is SO cool!!!!" And while I *thought* this was going to be a fairly mess-free activity, I realized that no activity with a 5 and 3 1/2 year old are going to be 'mess free'. :) They decided to dump the vinegar into the baking soda, thus making a sort of 'dough' and then they wanted cookie cutters to make 'cookies' with. Oh well. They enjoyed themselves and my kitchen floor needed a good solid cleaning anyway. ;)







The other thing I recently tried was to dye eggs with Kool-Aid and to color on the eggs with crayons before dying. I think I had as much fun (if not more!) than the kids did on this too. I was even tempted to go out and buy more eggs, just so I could dye more. I have only dyed eggs once in my life (we never celebrated Easter as the commercial holiday and as Christians, celebrate every Sunday as "Easter" so it's never really held any 'significant' meaning in my life.) The kids didn't want anything to do with eating the eggs after they were dyed though, so I enjoyed some hard boiled eggs for my lunch on Saturday and some egg salad today.









Tyler's eggs...I highly recommend the Kool-Aid. The colors were SO much brighter than the regular vinegar/food coloring combo.

Bria's eggs...the green and orange were the Kool-Aid ones

Mommy's...I was trying to be creative and 'tie-dying' mine. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried the kool aid thing...every year I keep meaning to do eggs, but I still haven't. We did them growing up, but I just can't manage to get them done lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhh boy....any experiments with baking soda are always fun!!

    ReplyDelete