I know I haven't posted in a
very long time, but to say that things have been a whirlwind would probably be a huge understatement!!! A few days after Cameron's fall & hospital visit/stay, my parents arrived for their 2 week birthday party celebration. We hadn't told the kids about them coming and I think the surprise was well-received, though they were all still 'groggy' from their short little car nap to the airport. Seeing their grandparents step into the hallway (we met them at the gate) was confusing to them at first, but the confusion was quickly replaced by non-stop chatter. Of course, part of that chatter was due in part to a certain little boy's birthday the following day.
Tyler celebrated his 5th birthday. He got to spend part of the morning over at his Boyle grandparents' house with his cousins, sister, & Papa Mac, since my 20 week sonogram was scheduled for that day. My mom decided to go with us and I made the mistake (I always remember this AFTER) of taking Cameron with us. He was ready for a nap and I thought he would have a better chance of getting one in the car vs. at Grandma's house with all the added excitement and noise, but I was probably wrong. Anyway, the sonogram went well, long because a tech did it and then all her pictures had to be approved by her supervisor, but I couldn't complain. :) I just felt bad that Cameron was restless and mom ended up not being in there for a large part of it. After enjoying lunch at my in-laws, we came home and the kids had their nap/rest times. I finished Tyler's cake (one of the easiest ones he's requested yet, thanks bud!) and then got to work on the pizza dough for supper. It was a fairly laid back day, but I know he enjoyed every bit of it.
The following day we were having some wonderful, unseasonably warm weather for January so after lunch, we took the kids over to the park to play for awhile before rest time. Well, if I had been thinking, I would have suggested going over AFTER rest time, but such as it was, I had a lesson to learn that day too. We hadn't been there 15 minutes and Bria ran into a platform and fell down. This platform/landing, was the perfect height for her little head...she smacked her forehead on it and got quite a gash, the soft spot between her eyes, right where her nose meets her forehead. Thankfully, my dad had a hankerchief and I was able to stop the bleeding by the time we walked home (a fairly short walk, but long considering I was carrying her, my dad was pushing/carrying Bria's doll stroller & trying to walk with Tyler, explaining what happened, and my mom was pushing Cameron in the stroller, who had fallen asleep on the little jaunt). I set her on the counter by the kitchen sink and it was determined that this was not going to be a band-air fix. Rats. So the girls (mom, Bria & I) loaded up in the van and headed to Children's Mercy South ER for the 2nd time in a week. Oy. It was a busy place (mom wondered if it was because it was such a nice day outside, kids were getting out and hurting themselves) but we got in fairly quickly. (Bria kept asking to see it, but I didn't think that was such a good idea, so I had put one of her princess band-aids over it and only showed it to the nurses who asked when they checked us in). Unfortunately, they put us in a room that was right next to the waiting room and Bria did not like the topical numbing stuff they had to put on it OR the actual stitching process. Broke my heart to hear her scream like she did...they had to 'toddler swaddle' her (wrapped her up in a sheet so she couldn't move her arms or her legs) which I'm sure didn't help her with the whole 'staying calm' thing. But at last the doctor finished...and 5 stitches later and we were pretty much on our way.
Thankfully, after
that episode
, we've managed to avoid any visits to the ER or any other 'exciting' things during their stay. I was truly thankful for my parents that day, they were both so calm, which helped me stay calm (which was more than what I was feeling on the inside, but I know it was better for Bria to keep my nerves in check). I honestly don't know what would have done if that had happened when I was by myself with all 3 kids...and I'm glad I don't have to figure that out. The Lord was gracious and while I hope nothing like that happens ever again, I'm thankful for the extra hands and words of comfort they both gave me while I was feeling at my wits end.
We also celebrated Matt's 34th birthday at Oklahoma Joe's BBQ and Cameron's 1st birthday here at home with both sets of grandparents. Other than the normal activity that goes on in our house with 3 little ones, I don't know as we did much out of the ordinary. They insisted on us going out for a date, so we gladly took them up on that offer as well.
We all loved having them here for 2 whole weeks and while I was especially sad to see them go, I knew it was time. I'm sure they were ready for some peace and quiet and 'sleeping in', something that is not possible around here with 3 'eager beavers'. I miss enjoying my coffee with them while the kids play, but I'm so thankful they came and that we had nice weather while they were here. I like their new retirement tradition of spending birthdays with their grandchildren, but that will definitely keep them busy. 9 grandchildren (soon to be 10) and 8 months of birthdays.
But enough chatter...I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking.
 |
| Silly cute kitty :) |
 |
| 20 weeks with #4 |
 |
| Legos! |
 |
| Silly monkey (pre stitches) |
 |
| Tyler's 5th Birthday Cake |
 |
| Reading with Papa Mac |
 |
| Helping open cards & packages |
 |
| Anticipation of seeing his cake |
 |
| Can't believe this little guy is 5! Where does the time go? |
 |
| Matching goatees! |
 |
| Bria Bria, after stitches |
 |
| Dancing with Grammy |
 |
| My mom's artistic picture for Bria while she napped |
 |
| I like food. |
 |
| Birthday breakfast - blueberry muffins! |
 |
| Reading his book |
 |
| So happy! |
 |
| So smiley! |
 |
| Opening presents |
 |
| Loves his new book that his sister is playing with ;) |
 |
| Cheese face and happy feet - what a combination! :) |
 |
| Cake time! |
 |
| Can hardly wait |
 |
| So excited! |
 |
| Mmmm, cake! |
 |
| Very very very blue cake! |
 |
| Sugar overload...I've had enough! |
 |
| Post bath and presents = happy boy |
 |
| So ready for bed! It's exhausting turning 1 |
Great pictures, Anne! I love Tyler's cake. The best cakes are the ones with toys on top. :)
ReplyDelete