Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!



I must admit. In my 28 years of life, I have never known the reason for celebrating St. Patrick's Day. I've always enjoyed wearing green and going to McDonald's for a shamrock shake (they don't sell them anymore, sadly enough). But beyond that, I didn't know much. I know most people think of it as an excuse to get drunk and generally act crazy. So this morning I decided to find out some of the history behind it. I came across this article, which seemed to shine a little more light on the day. I was especially intrigued by this little section of the article, which I've included below.
He was actually a missionary and he converted 120,000 druids from paganism to Christianity. In fact, Federer contends that in the fifth century A.D., Patrick did more than perhaps anyone in history to spread this new religion through Europe. He started over 300 churches and used the three-leafed clover to teach the [Holy] Trinity, Federer says, noting that this teaching tool is now the symbol of St. Patrick’s Day and Ireland itself.

So now that I know, I will continue wearing green and making shamrock cookies. It's really too bad that society has completely commercialized so many holidays. Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!


Excuse the bed head on my little reds...it was all I
could do to get them dressed this AM. I haven't accomplished
the hair combing yet. :)

5 comments:

  1. just so you know.... they are still doing the Shamrock Shakes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the history of the missionary St. Patrick, but really, if it's not known for its candy....? I could get excited if it had special candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, Jenia. Really??!!! Now I'm super excited about today! :) And Candice, I agree. I always look for the special "clearance" candy the day AFTER a holiday, but not tomorrow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! 7:49AM Everyone looks pretty chipper so early in the morning. And I am happy to see that Matthew's face doesn't look green, so I assume he is feeling much better than yesterday!!! YEA!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Anne...it is Vanesa. Love your blog. Super cute! I didn't know the meaning behind St. Patty's Day either. Thanks for the update. Sorry that your McD's deprive you of the Shamrock Shake. Maybe next year you should try going before the actual holiday. They usually run out before mid-March...but I enjoyed three this year before then. Hee hee!
    Oh...and I LOVE Bria's smile in the St. Patty's Day pic. She is soo cute!!
    Later..Vanes

    ReplyDelete