Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Father's Love

So often this time of year, the passages that are preached are of Christ's birth and how he came to this world as an infant. Today, Pastor Mann preached on the crucifixion. These are both familiar passages to Christians all over, but today, I was especially touched by the sermon and the verses we read that talked of Christ's death.

When Luke 23: 26-45 was read, I found myself getting goosebumps at a few of the verses. The first section were verses 40-43: "But the other criminal rebuked him, "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in Paradise." I can't tell you how many times I've read or heard this section read, but today I actually heard it: That criminal knew his faults, but also knew that Jesus had done nothing wrong. How humbling that is for me. To know that my sins (even though I wasn't physically created yet, God had me in his plan), just like the criminals on either side of Jesus, were the reason that Jesus was on the cross. He had done nothing wrong, but because he loved us, he died for us!

I was also struck by Pastor Mann's final comments on the last verse. Verse 45 says "for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two." Christ was utterly forsaken by God. He poured out his wrath for all the sinners of the earth on his own SON. Jesus tasted the cup of death so we could receive the cup of salvation. As I've said before, I've heard and read this passage on many different occasions, but today I got it. And when Jesus cried out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" the answer is: FOR ME. Jesus was the mediation for us. Only his perfect sacrifice makes it possible to humbly come before God and ask for his forgiveness of our many sins. And he has given us his Holy Spirit to empower us to love him!

What a blessing it is, to know that Our Heavenly Father loves us! And even though we don't deserve this Agape love, he shows it to us through this passage. So even though, this time of year is often remembered as the Season of Christ's Birth, I'm thankful that Pastor Mann decided to preach on the Season of Christ's Death. For without his death, there is no life. Blessings to you all in the days and weeks to come. May they be filled with peace and understanding of the love that has been so graciously shown to us.

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love it when the Lord allows certain things to 'click' and the timing is so perfect for what you needed to hear? I enjoyed Wade's message too; I esp. appreciated what he said about the world often focusing so much on the physical suffering of Jesus, yet the gospels tend to minimize the gory details. I'd never really thought about that. Hope your week is going great so far!

    ReplyDelete