Saturday, January 10, 2009

To sleep or not to sleep...

Well, tonight is night #2 of Tyler not having his pacifier for going to sleep. Last night the fussing lasted for about an hour, but for the first 45 minutes or so, it was very half hearted pleading. The last 15 minutes he was pretty ticked (but was also probably REALLY tired) but it didn't last long and then it was silent. And I think it would have lasted all night, had he not had a HORRIBLE diaper at 3:30 this morning. So after changing pjs, diaper, being wiped all over with cold wet wipes, and changing his sheets, he REALLY wanted his pacifier. Tyler screamed so loud and so much that he actually woke Matt up (which rarely ever happens!). But even that didn't last long either...maybe 20 minutes or so. He of course was up at 7 this morning and only took MAYBE an hour nap this afternoon, but once again, it's silent and the fussing tonight lasted less than 10 minutes. Hmm...I guess if I have to give up him sleeping in and taking longer naps in order for him to free of his "bubba", I can handle that. I've been quite spoiled with his sleeping habits anyway. He would normally average 2 1/2 - 3 hr naps and would sleep for 11-12 hrs at night. So far we haven't seen that since we took the bubba last night, but who knows, maybe it will return, maybe it won't. Regardless, I'm not going to complain. After all, my sister and brother-in-law don't have nappers...anything over an hour is long for their kids. And my brother and sister-in-law are incredulous that kids nap...my nephew doesn't. I don't know how, but it's a rare occasion if he sleeps during the day.

Bria did pretty well last night too. I put a fan by my head so I wouldn't hear her cry. I think I heard her once, around 1am, but I fell back to sleep and I don't know how long she kept it up. She woke up again at 4:30am and since I was still awake after dealing with Tyler an hour earlier, I decided I was ok with feeding her then. I think she slept until 8am or so. She's been doing a lot better about not fussing when I lay her down for naps and bedtime too, which has been so nice. Naptimes she tends to fuss a little bit, but usually less than 5 minutes. Of course her naps consist of MAYBE half an hour, 45 minutes if we're fortunate, so that makes for longer days, but bedtimes have been great. I read "Goodnight Moon" while bouncing with her on the guest bed and then sing to her and lay her down. She hasn't fussed at all when I do that. Hopefully she'll start getting the hang of sleeping through the night regularly. She did so well at doing that when she was a month or two old, but has since changed her mind on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment