This morning at church, Pastor Mann had a children's message. Matt has been taking Tyler up to the front for these the past few months. I'm not sure how much he gets out of them yet, but he does very well sitting quietly and listening. The message this morning involved a strand of Christmas lights. Pastor Mann talked about how we are like those lights. If Christ is in us, we shine brightly. If he's not, then we are dull and dark. He encouraged the kids to think of this and how we can help others with our shining lights everytime they saw the pretty Christmas lights, whether on their own tree at home or on the houses around town.
I know the message was directed at the children so they could understand, but it struck me too. So often we get so wrapped up in the other things going on at Christmas time that we forget the TRUE reason we are celebrating. We get so busy with parties, shopping, gift giving, decorating, baking, etc. to take a moment and remember what the celebration is really about. I encourage each of you to take a moment (at least one!) this week and be still. Think of why we are celebrating this holiday.
Enjoy the lights. Remember that we too are lights in this dark world. Have a blessed week with family and friends. Merry Christmas!
I am closing this post with a verse I'm sure we've all read numerous times, and can probably recite it without thought. But think about it this time. Really read it and meditate on it.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
That's a good object lesson. I'm sorry the kids missed it!
ReplyDelete